Des Moines Nursing Home Abuse Attorneys
The decision to move into a nursing home yourself or place a parent or disabled relative in such a care facility is never easy. Once that decision is made, however, you rightfully expect nursing home personnel to care for all residents according to reasonable standards.
Sadly, applicable standards of care are violated every day in nursing homes across the U.S., exposing the elderly and vulnerable to unnecessary pain and suffering, life-threatening illnesses and even early death. If you have reason to suspect nursing home neglect or abuse in Iowa, we encourage you to contact the experienced Des Moines-based nursing home abuse lawyers at Reid Law Firm.
What is neglect and abuse in a nursing home?
Elder abuse and neglect in nursing homes takes many forms. Despite assurances you likely received from administrators and staff about the quality of care, you may now be aware of serious issues such as:
- Inadequate supervision or otherwise unsafe conditions that led to a fall in the nursing home
- Resident malnutrition and dehydration
- Failure to seek timely, appropriate medical attention for a resident’s infection or other serious health condition
- Physical abuse or cruelty by nursing home staff
Nursing Home Abuse vs. Neglect
While elder abuse and neglect fall into the same category, they are slightly different. People often assume that nursing home abuse is worse with greater consequences than neglect. However, nursing home neglect can have the same devastating consequences as elderly abuse. While it can be intentional or unintentional, nursing home neglect is nonetheless a form of abuse and in some cases, causes direct harm to an elder.
In legal cases where neglect is recognized and still continued, individuals responsible must be held accountable. However, the most common cases our nursing home neglect lawyers come across involve neglect due to a lack of resources and support such as an understaffed nursing home. Our highly-experienced team of lawyers specializing in nursing home neglect are committed to winning justice for you and your loved one. We offer free, informational consultations where you can get answers to your questions about nursing home neglect lawsuits, and we can help you choose a path forward.
What are the consequences of nursing home abuse?
Our Des Moines nursing home abuse attorneys have sadly seen many physical and emotional consequences arise from elderly abuse and neglect. These consequences can be divided into categories, including:
- Physical Consequences: Includes injuries such as welts and wounds, as well as lack of sleep and dehydration.
- Psychological Consequences: Includes depression and distress.
- Social Consequences: Includes isolation due to lack of participation in activities.
- Financial Consequences: Includes recovery costs for elderly who have experienced injuries or needed medical attention of some form.
When you choose Reid Law Firm’s nursing home abuse lawyers, you can expect to receive a higher standard of legal care and services. We are fully committed to the compensation and full recovery of our clients and their loved ones. We guarantee your recovery or you don’t pay.
Reid Law Firm’s Lawyers Specializing in Nursing Home Neglect
Our law firm takes action to investigate serious allegations of nursing home neglect and abuse. We prioritize exposure and accountability for egregious treatment of our elders, especially when administrators engage in a pattern of denial to avoid financial accountability. Our Iowa nursing home abuse lawyers are up to the challenges of:
- Proving the role of factors such as negligent hiring, inadequate staffing or training, and profit-motivated business decisions in causing serious personal injury or a wrongful death
- Persuading insurance adjusters and, when necessary, trial juries to assign substantial value to the life, health and dignity of nursing home residents
At Reid Law Firm in Des Moines, we strongly believe in preparing every single case for trial, while working hard to settle all cases that should be settled. Our experienced attorneys have formed a positive reputation statewide, and strive to satisfy the legal needs of each and every client with the utmost care and respect. Every step of the litigation process is completed with the full involvement of our clients, and not a decision gets made with their full approval.
How do I file a claim against a nursing home?
We encourage everyone to carefully consider their choice of a nursing home and keep tabs on residents’ health and safety. If you suspect neglect or abuse, please contact us as soon as possible for a free consultation with an attorney who will prioritize justice in your case.